My recipe is a dutch oven recipe (this filled up my 5 quart round dutch oven) that was more or less developed from the following recipes:
1 (full recipe) msemen bread
5-6 Pound whole chicken
2 Large Yellow Onions
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons of peeled and pureed ginger (1 large piece)
1 heaping tablespoon ras el hanout spice mix (I used this one by Zamouri Spices)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 cup uncooked lentils, soaked for 3-4 hours and drained
2 tablespoons fenugreek seeds, soaked for 3-4 hours and drained
1 teaspoon saffron threads, heated gently and then crumbled
1 small handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 small handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
3 cups water
1 teaspoon ghee (I used this instead of smen)
- Mix salt, pepper, ras el hanout and turmeric.
- Quarter lemon and 1 of the onions. Dice the other onion.
- Wash chicken and remove giblets.
- Stuff quartered lemon and quartered onion into chicken cavity.
- Place chicken in dutch oven and coat in olive oil.
- Rub chicken skin with dry spice mix.
- Add diced onion and pureed ginger to dutch oven and distribute evenly around chicken.
- Cover chicken and leave in the fridge to marinate at least 2 hours or over night (I marinated mine for about 7 hours).
- Turn oven on to preheat to 350°F. Heat chicken (still in the dutch oven) on stove covered on medium heat until a rich sauce has formed for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the drained lentils, drained fenugreek seeds, saffron, parsley, cilantro and 3 cups of water (lentils and fenugreek should be submerged).
- Cover and place in preheated oven for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from oven and test to see that it's done. Spoon lentils into a bowl and transfer liquid into a sauce pan. Reduce sauce to desired thickness over medium heat and if desired, add a few teaspoons of corn starch (dissolved in a bit of water) to thicken. Stir in spoon full of ghee.
- Return chicken to oven uncovered and broil for a few minutes if crispy skin is desired, checking frequently to be sure that it's not burning.
- To serve shred msmen and arrange on a large plate. Place chicken on top cut however you like. Top with lentils and some of the sauce, reserving some to serve on the side.