Monday, June 21, 2010

Whole Wheat Banana Bread

For years I have been making this Afritastic recipe. I have modified it in a number of ways, adding chopped up candied ginger, pecans instead of walnuts and chocolate chunks. Well, the best it has ever turned out was when I flat out forgot the white flour. I will never be adding that white flour again. So here is the current favorite version of this recipe:

Ingredients
1/2 Cup Butter (Softened)
1 Cup Sugar
2 Overripe Bananas (Mashed)
1/2 Tbsp vanilla
2 Large Eggs (Slightly beaten)
1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 Cup hot water
1/2 Cup Pecans (Chopped, Optional)
1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chunks (You can probably use chips. I always just break up some sort of fancy chocolate bar)

Preheat oven to 325°F
Cream together butter and sugar.
Fold in pureed bananas and vanilla and blend.
Add eggs and blend until smooth.
Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
Fold dry ingredients into wet.
Blend in water.
Stir in nuts and chocolate.
Pour into lightly greased loaf pan (I always use butter or cooking spray. The recipe calls for a 9x5x3 in. pan but I have not found that to really matter)
Bake at 325°F for 70-80 minutes until done (when a toothpick stuck into the bread comes out clean).

Note: I don't actually measure the chocolate, cinnamon and vanilla when I add them so these are my best guesses about how much I use

No comments:

Post a Comment